Sunday, July 10, 2011

And the hits just keep on coming...

I am going to keep this one short. I still can't believe I am writing these updates on my dad. It seems surreal at times. My dad was hospitalized on Friday. Because he was too sick to get chemo, they decided he needed fluids. It's kind of ironic since his stomach is filled with it, but I guess it's a combination of him draining 2 liters a day, and nutrients not being replenished fast enough. They put in a central line and a picc line - all I can say is OUCH. I won't even tell you where they put in the central line - guys, you would cringe. He has been getting fluids non-stop. However, he did get sick yesterday and lost a lot of fluids so his blood pressure dropped pretty quickly -- it was down to 70/40. The docs apparently went into take charge mode and were able to get it up in a short period of time. Fast forward to today, I just spoke with my dad and they are now ordering physical therapy. Since he's basically been in bed for 2 weeks straight, he's lost a lot of strength. Add that to his already weak body and apparently it's much needed.

I will say the conversations I have with my family are getting increasingly more sad and it's hard being away from home. Is this enough to prompt me to move back to the 'burgh? Come on now - I haven't lost my mind YET! My dad on the phone this morning sounded defeated and my mom asked me to come home to talk about plans for what to do with my dad's dental practice since he's not able to work right now. And so here's where that strength I have been praying for hopefully will help! It's been working so far, but I tell you, this does get harder by the day. Ok - no more Debbie Downer for me today! xoxoxo to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment